What should one do if one has problems with ones mother in law?

Question ID: 23951

I have been married for just over a year now and I have been constantly having issues with my in laws especially my mother in law.
She treats me like a maid and outsider. She even came to my room shouting at me to help the maid in the kitchen yet she doesn’t mind her daughters not doing any house work. She does this infront of my husband but he does not tell her anything.
When I tell my husband that I am unhappy and would like seperate living premises he fights would me instead. Often he shouts so that the rest of his family can hear him.
His mother goes in our bedroom when ever she wants and even opens our cupboards.
She doesn’t like me visiting my parents, she often complains about me going to my parents. Now my husband takes me to see my parents less than usual and when we do his family keeps phoning him to come home while we are at my parents.
Even last year Eid we only spent 2 hours with my family because his family kept phoning him and rushing us home.
My mother in law complains about us going shopping or even if we go out although what ever I want I buy with my own money. My husband doesn’t clothe me or take care of me financially at all.
I have told him many times that I do not like the way his mother treats me but he starts swearing and shouting. I just keep quiet with fear that he might hit me.
What can I do about these problems?

Marked as spam
Asked on August 23, 2010 12:00 am
Private answer

Best solution is to have dwelling of your own.
Get people from your side and from his side to talk, discuss and deliberate the way forward. He should respect his mother but at the same time give you your basic privacy rights.

Marked as spam
Answered on August 23, 2010 12:00 am