In the name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Marhoom Mufti Afzal Hoosen Elias عليهرَحمة.
Hereunder, we have mentioned some brief details about Mufti Afzal Hoosen Elias عليهرَحمة. Due to our limited abilities, we have not given a detailed account of Mufti Afzal Hoosen Elias عليهرَحمة’s life, but rather a short summary. InshaAllaah, with the help of Allaah, we will expand this biography to include more information at a later date.
In Muharram 1375 (September 1955), Mufti Afzal Hoosen Elias عليهرَحمة was born in Estcourt, Kwa-Zulu Natal. During his youth, Allaah inspired him with a yearning for a thorough Deeni education. After fulfilling his parents’ wishes of obtaining a secular education, Mufti Elias left for Deoband, India in 1977. Here he obtained the following Deeni qualifications:
- Fazil Alim Certificate from Darul Uloom Deoband, India, in 1983.
- A specialized course on the Tafseer (Commentary) of the Noble Quraan under Moulana Ghulamullaah Khan in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, in 1983.
- Mufti Certificate from Darul Uloom Deoband, India, in 1984.
(A specialized course in Islaamic Jurisprudence)
During his student years, Mufti Elias عليهرَحمة began writing, translating, and simplifying Islaamic literature. After completing his studies, Mufti Saahib عليهرَحمة returned to South Africa, to impart the knowledge he had gained. He also embarked on many more endeavours, most notably being:
- Starting live and unscripted Question and Answer sessions on radio.
- Actively encouraging the Walking Hajj, and successfully leading up to and over thousand people yearly during the days of Hajj.
- Lecturing in over 126 venues in South Africa.
- Lecturing in other countries, to name a few: Zambia, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland, Pakistan, India, Mauritius and Saudi Arabia
- Writing, translating, and editing +-1000 literary works.
- Publishing +-800 of those literary works.
- Answering over 10,000 questions online.
- Seeing his works further translated into languages that include (but are not limited to) Afrikaans, Zulu, Sotho, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Danish, and Braille.
Mufti Elias عليهرَحمة was also a senior member of many Islaamic organisations, for as long as those organisations’ focus was the upliftment of Deen.
Mufti Elias عليهرَحمة was a people’s Mufti, and his main concern was making Deen easy for all, and accessible to all. Mufti Elias عليهرَحمة always availed himself to answer questions and was easy-going and approachable.
Mufti Elias عليهرَحمة’s contributions to spreading Deen in the western world are innumerable and immeasurable. May Allaah accept his works, make it a means of guidance, and allow it to flourish until the end of time.
On the 9th Shabaan 1439 (25th April 2018), Mufti Elias عليهرَحمة completed his journey of this world, and passed on to the next. May Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَ reward Mufti Elias عليهرَحمة abundantly, grant him Jannatul Firdouz, and make us worthy of a a beautiful reunion with him and Allaah’s chosen ones in the future.
We further request Duaas for the Al-Islam team, who are currently responsible for the availability of 550 literary works, 1300 audios, 1000s of Q&A, that can be downloaded free from this website. May Allaah forgive us, reward us, and guide us to do what is best for ourselves and others.
May Allaah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى grant us the ability and strength to continue the work of Mufti Elias عليهرَحمة.