Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa barakatuhu,
I have some questions regarding Ramadan and Zakaat.
1: I am not able to fast due to medical reasons (specifically I am on medication).
What am I obligated to do during the month of Ramadan since I cannot fast?
2: Since I cannot fast during Ramadan, can I make the intention in my heart that I would like so fast so I can get the reward or will I get the reward even though I am not fasting for medical reasons? In other words, in this case, is the intention necessary for the reward?
I am a single mother and I am employed. The following are questions regarding Zakat:
1. I pay taxes so do I still have to pay Zakat?
2. If I do have to pay Zakat is the amount paid from my gross income (before or after taxes).
3. I am a single woman who is concerned about my financial future. Do I still have to give Zakat?
4a: If I have to pay Zakat, can I give the money to a poor family or buy food and clothes for them, give to medical research or give to organizations that feed the poor and homeless.
4b: Do I have to give the money to the poor people in person?
4c: Can I but them food, clothes, etc.. and give it to them or do I give them the money so pruchase whatever they wish?
5. What are the Zakat guidelines to who the Zakat is given to?
6. Can the Zakat be given to non-Muslims?
7. Since Zakat in once a year, do I have to pay it exactly the same day every year? Ex. If I gave Zakat March 16, 2009, does it have to be March 16 2010? If so, can I change the date so it can be given in Ramadan for more reward or no?
8. If a woman owns jewelry (earrings, bracelets, rings, etc..), does she have to pay Zakat for that? If so, how so?
9. If I am in debt do I have to pay Zakat?
10. My car is in terrible condition and I need to get another car so am I still obligated to pay Zakat?
11. If a person did not pay Zakat before through the years or for some years, is there such thing a Qadaa Zakat? If so, what are the guidelines?
12: Relating to question 2, regarding money in the bank account, do I calculate 2.5% of my money that I have not used?
13: If a poor family happens to have cable TV which usually costs X amount of money per month, can I give Zakat to them? What if I am not comfortable with that since the money might go to the cable TV bill?