Leaving house to wife then son

Question ID: 39450

As salaamu alaikum Mufti

I have two questions to do with inheritance.

My husband & I live with his parents. The house was bought 15 years ago, and since my husband was of age and had a good credit rating, his name is also on the title of the house. All my husbands siblings are married and living on their own for the past 10 years. For the past 12 years at least my husband has been making all house payments, however when his brothers & sisters lived here his father took money from them for the general running of the household. Right now my father-in-law is ill and wants to get his will sorted out before he passes away. He wants the house to go to my mother-in-law and if she passes away then to go to my husband. However, his children do not agree with this – they say they don’t want to kick us out, but once he passes away, we can stay as long as we want but if we choose to sell and move then they want their shares.

1. What would be the best course of action for my father-in-law in his will?

2. How would you advise us to deal with this situation since continuing to stay here will leave no security for me or our kids?

Jazakallahu Khairan

Marked as spam
Asked on January 1, 1970 12:00 am
Private answer

Let your father in law make the necessary decisions in his lifetime. His decisions must be physical transfers as gifts so that no future difficuiltites arise

Marked as spam
Answered on January 1, 1970 12:00 am