I am extremely troubled by certain aspects that are literally ripping apart the seams that hold my family unit together.
Let me start by saying that there are scholarly people in my family who choose to whisper about these issues rather than attempting to resolve it. I, on other hand am very direct and will verbalise a fault as soon as I notice it, including my own.
Please shed some light as to whether or not it is permissible to associate with a self confessed Lesbian, (homosexual). She happens to be very closely related to me as our mothers’ are sisters’, hence the reason I ask as it is unavoidable meeting her at family gatherings.
I am fully aware that from an Islamic perspective, it is NOT permissible to sever family ties.
Her parents and siblings condone this lifestyle as well, as they say that she and her partner are the main breadwinners in their home. She and her “partner” both live with her parents.
The so called other “elders” in our family turn a blind eye too, as they state that she assists them a lot, though not financially.
My second issue is that her sister has been Talaaq’d (thrice) from her husband for almost a year now, (witnesses included), her parents allow them to live as husband and wife under their roof and pretend that all is well.
I have only daughters, and feel that I am obligated as their mother to shield them from such unislamic misconduct. The youth of today are faced with enough challenges and fitna’s with the decay in today’s society, why would I expose them to this as well, when it can be easily avoided?. I am by no means a saint and have many faults too, I do however know where to draw the line when it comes to Islamic Jurisprudence.
In my opinion Islam and Imaan supersedes family tradition as well as the opinion of the family “elders”. Simply put, I refuse to conform, even though it might upset the people who condone these sinful misdemeanours solely because it “suits” them. I’d much easier accept being branded public enemy No.1.
1. Am I allowed to sever ties with my homosexual family member and her sister living in Zinaa.?
2. Am I allowed to greet them? (I have been doing so, but in a general scenario where there are lots of people and I say Assalamu Alaykum everyone).
3. Is there a punishment for those family members who associate with them and if yes, what is this punishment?
4. Will I be punished for associating with those family members who associate with them, especially if they pretend like nothing is wrong and freely allow them into their homes?
5. By accepting her sexuality on the basis that she is the main breadwinner, are her parents not showing little or no Yakeen that Allah SWT is indeed the provider of Rizq?
6. Do people who live homosexual / Zinaa lifestyles attract Allah’s mercy and Barakah; are their duas accepted by Allah SWT?
7. If I condone such, will I be answerable to Allah SWT on the day of Qiyaamah?
I have been avoiding any form of direct dialogue with them thus far, as she, my homosexual cousin is rather troublesome too. She claims to have direct contact with the marhooms and that she can foresee the future.
Please treat this with strictest of confidence as I do not want my family to be publicly ridiculed or humiliated.
Please answer in detail as most Muftis would give monosyllabic answers without any explanation.