Discharging of zakaat

Question ID: 39518

1. I qualify to pay Zakaat

2. My elder brother (A), who is married with 3 children lives with my aged pensioner parents in their home. The home belongs to my father in whose name the Title Deed is registered. (A) takes care of all financial matters regarding the monthly running, up keep and maintenance of this home. In addition (A) procures all the groceries, food items and anything else that is required. All costs associated with the entertainment of visitors etc is borne by (A). My parents do not contribute to the home expenses in any way. Major medical expenses incurred by my parents are to a large extent subsidised by myself and my younger brother. Although these costs and any other ancillary costs are often paid for by (A).
(A) is employed as a school teacher and teaches in the madressah in the afternoons. He possesses 2 homes: one which is occupied by his recently married eldest son for which a rental fee is paid to offset the loan taken by (A) to purchase that house, and the second home which has been rented out (being very close to an informal settlement) for which a nominal rental is obtained (sporadically) and which home cannot be sold because of the nature of the land and area in which the home is located.

The salary earned by (A) is insufficient to manage the monthly expenses and also pay of the staggering debt incurred over the years and for which no payment has been made to his creditors.

For a number of years he has not qualified to pay Zakaat nor did have the Nisaab amount to make qurbani during the days of Eid-ul-Adha
Can I give my Zakaat to (A) to assist him
1) In paying off his debt?

2) In contributing towards the monthly household expenses?

Marked as spam
Asked on January 1, 1970 12:00 am
Private answer

1) Yes

2) Yes

Marked as spam
Answered on January 1, 1970 12:00 am