Return of mahr for invalid marriage

Question ID: 19299

A person gets married & discovers that the girl’s previous marriage was annulled by a secular court only, hence her marriage to him is deemed as invalid as per Shari’ah by scholars.

1. Is the boy permitted to ask for return of the ‘mahr’ that he paid?

2. The girl’s family or their representative entered the boy’s flat in his absence and without his permission removed items such as a bed, washing machine etc.

The items which were removed were paid for by the girl’s father, but the undeniable implication at the time of purchase was that they were intended for joint use.

There was no explicit mention at the time of purchase that they were specifically intended for the girl’s use, during the so called marriage.

Was it permissible for them to enter the house in the boy’s absence by using a spare key without having told him?

Were the girl’s family/representative correct to remove the items from the house that they had paid for?

What is the Shar’i ruling regarding the 3 questions above? Please provide a full explanation

Marked as spam
Asked on February 17, 2016 4:14 pm
Private answer

1) Yes.
2) This was completely illegal.
3) No.

Marked as spam
Answered on March 14, 2016 4:46 pm