Ever since learning about hurmat al musahrah, I am getting waswasa’s about this. The waswasas are related to my mother-in-law.
The times where there has been any sort of physical contact between us has been very very brief. For example, she put on the engagement ring on my finger. I was sitting on the sofa and she was standing. Therefore her fingers may have touched mine for a few seconds. It is very unlikely that I experienced lust or erection during the few seconds there was contact.
She has patted me on the back a few times like its generally done in the subcontinent. Again, each occasion would only have lasted two three seconds and that too without direct skin contact.
I know I am over exaggerating and its the shaitan playing tricks on me. These are some of the facts I use to reassure myself to get some peace of mind.
1. I am not attracted to my mother-in-law at all.
2. There have been only very very brief physical contact most with cloth barrier.
3. There is no way for me to know my state of mind at the time of contact in the past. It is very improbable that there was any lust. Therefore I am almost certain nothing happened. Hence the doubt of the inverse.
4. This ruling is only in the hanafi school of thought. Other schools and salafis/ahle-hadith do not consider this to be a valid position.
5. The hanafi position is based on precaution therefore there is some flexibility in individual cases.
Can I take comfort in the above points to get rid of my obsessive thought? What do you suggest I do about my situation?