Insurance payout

Question ID: 34789

Assalamualaikum Muhtaram Mufti Saheb
I live in a sectional title complex, and pay a monthly levy to the managing agents. As part of that levy, insurance is included. I am not involved in that process, all I do is pay the levy as per the managing agents invoice.

While we were out of the house, one of the pipes in the bathroom leaked and flooded the house. I contacted the managing agent who then registered an the incident. She then informed us that she has registered a claim and will send out a contractor to assess resulting damages as that is covered by the complex insurance.

The contractor appointed by the insurance company came out to the house and I did not ask him what he will be repairing or what the costs would be. I just showed him the places that were damaged from the water and allowed him to do his work.

He then sent a quote to the insurance company who then advised that I can either use the insurance appointed contractor to do the work, or they will pay me out based on their calculations and his quotation, deduct an excess amount and then pay me the balance. I did not request that he inflate the quote or suggest any pricing to him.

If I am able to have the work done, using cheaper contractors, will it be permissible for me to do so and can I use the remainder of the money to do other work in the house, or other things.

Would appreciate your urgent response


Marked as spam
Asked on January 8, 2018 12:47 pm
Private answer

You can use the cheaper contractor.

Marked as spam
Answered on January 15, 2018 6:38 pm