Mother wanting to sell house that you have been maintaining for years

Question ID: 32812


I would like to find out my family and I have been living with my mother in her house for several years and she has now decided she requires to sell the property. To note previously there was a verbal agreement between my mother and I, that the house will be mine and there was no agreement for me to pay rent while living with my mother. I have however paid for the maintenance and expenses such as water, electricity, telephone, etc. and may have benefited from her pensioners rates where it applied.

Unfortunately my mother has now decided the house will no longer be given to me but sold and I will be given the preference of buying the house based on the valuation of the house and all relative factors.

I would therefore like to know, based on the relative factors, if I will now be liable to pay rent for all the years that I have been living with her.

Furthermore, during my stay with her I have done renovations to the house at my expense and would like to know will I be entitled to claim back all the money that I have spent on the house both for the renovations and the maintenance of the property.

Appreciate your response and guidance on this matter.


Marked as spam
Asked on March 30, 2017 8:51 am
Private answer

This dispute is as a result of not writing matters down.
You are entitles to be paid for the renovation.
But you were entitled to be charged rent and pay for the lights and water but not the rates and taxes.

Marked as spam
Answered on April 9, 2017 7:59 pm