|Umrah Made Easy – Point by Point
Compiled by Mufti A.H.Elias
اَللّٰهُمَّ إِنِّيْ أُرِیْدُ الْعُمْرَةَ فَیَسِّرْهَا لِيْ وَتَقَبَّلْهَا مِنِّيْ.
O Allaah, I intend to perform Umrah, so make it easy for me, and accept it from me.
لَبَّيْكَ اَللّٰهُمَّ لَبَّيْكَ، لَبَّيْكَ لَا شَرِيْكَ لَكَ لَبَّيْكَ إِنَّ الْحَمْدَ وَالنِّعْمَةَ لَكَ
وَالْمُلْكَ لَا شَرِيْكَ لَكَ
Tie the Ihraam from the Meeqaat, make the intention, and after reciting the Talbiyah, perform the Umrah in the following sequence upon entering Masjid al-Haraam.Recite Talbiyah in abundance.
4 things to be done before beginning Tawaaf:
1. Stop Talbiyah recitation once you start the Tawaaf
2. The males should take the upper Ihraam cloth from under the right armpit and place it over the left shoulder, leaving the right shoulder un-covered, i.e. Istibah
3. A few steps just before coming in line with the Hijr al-Aswad, face the Baytullaah and make the intention of performing Tawaaf, ‘O Allaah, I intend to perform Tawaaf of Your Noble house, make it easy for me and accept it from me.’ (It is a necessary condition to perform Tawaaf in the state of Wudhoo)
4. Now, without turning the chest away from the Baytullaah, face the Hijr al-Aswad, i.e. place both palms towards the Baytullaah and lift the hands upto the ears. Then make Istilaam, i.e. make an indication with the palms towards the Hijr al-Aswad and say (بِسْمِ اللهِ اَللهُ أَكْبَرُ لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا اللهُ وِلِلهِ الْحَمْدُ), then kiss the palms, now begin the Tawaaf.
Do 4 things upon commencing Tawaaf:
1. In Tawaaf, only the males should do Raml, i.e. one should take short steps, with the chest out, walking like a brave person
2. During Tawaaf and between Rukn Yamaani and Hijr al-Aswad, it is proven to recite
رَبَّنَا اٰتِنَا فِي الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَّفِي الْآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَّقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ The rest of the Tawaaf, one should recite the third Kalimah, Istighfaar, Durud Sharif or one can recite the Qur’aan. (Rukn Yamaani is the corner to the left of the Hijr al-Aswad.
3. One should face the Hijr al-Aswad at the commencement of each circuit and make Istilaam. (If there is a crowd, then one should make Istilaam with the right hand, without facing the Hijr al-Aswad and begin the next circuit).
4. During Tawaaf, one should not face the Ka’bah completely, one should not face the back to the Ka’bah.
Do 4 things upon the completion of Tawaaf
1. After completing the 7 circuits, perform Istilaam the 8th time and make du’aa’. (There is perform applied onto the Multazam, do not touch it)
2. Cover the right shoulder, and perform 2 Rak’at Waajib Salaah behind the Maqaam Ibraaheem, or anywhere in the Haram. This is when it is not the Makruh time. One should also make du’aa’.
3. Drink Zamzam water in abundance and recite the Du’aa’
(اللهم إِنِّيْ أسْأَلُكَ عِلْمًا نَّافِعًا، وَّرِزْقًا وَّاسِعًا وَّشِفَاءً مِّنْ كُلِّ دَاءٍ)
Allaah, I ask of You beneficial knowledge and wide sustenance and cure from every ailment
4. Before going to Safa and Marwa, first do a ninth Istilaam in the direction of Hijr al-Aswad
Do 4 things when going to Mount Safa:
1. Go to Mount Safa from Baab Safa or in any other easy way. Upon reaching there, face the Ka’bah and make abundant du’aa’
2. Begin the Sa’ee from Safa. Upon reaching Marwa, one circuit is completed. Then go from Marwa to Safa, the second circuit is completed. In this way, the seventh circuit will be completed at Marwa. (During Sa’ee, the males should walk fast between the green lights).
3. Go to the Masjid and perform 2 Rak’at of Nafl Salaah (Safa and Marwa are out of the boundary of the Masjid.)
4. The males should shave or trim the hair. Females should cut a fingertip amount from all the hair of the head, or from at least a quarter of her hair. Alhamdulillaah, all the fundamentals of Umrah are complete.
There are two Fardh (obligatory) actions in Umrah: Ihraam, Tawaaf.
Two Wajib (compulsory) actions: Sa’ee, Shaving, or trimming the hair
Two Sunnat acts: Raml and Ithabah (leaving right should open)-for males only
Two Mustahab acts: Drink Zam Zam and go to Multazam to make duaa if possible.
Do not forget the 9th Istlilam before going to make Saee.