As salaamualaykum – below is a whats app message that has been making its rounds, which according to my limited knowledge s is contrary to our teachings , please advise appropriate response, which i would like to post, if i have your permission.
qurbani and many misconceptions made by different sects of sunni Alims & thoughts of school for meat and skin of the slaughtered Animal. Therefore i took the initiative to compile the right sunnah way of doing qurbani as pescribed by Huzur-e-Pak and from the book of Ahadiths.
1. There is a misconception that on the day of Eid ul Adha one animal is to be slaughtered for each family member by taking the name of that individual. If there are ten persons in a family, they are supposed to slaughter ten sheep with each sheep bearing the name of one family member. This has become a culture in India and Pakistan.
The fact of the matter is that not only this practice is against the sunnah and burdensome for the whole family but often this result in storage of tonnes of meat in our freezers for months.
2. *Bukhari # 7210*
Narrated by Abdullah bin Hisham who was born during the lifetime of the Prophet (ﷺ) that his mother, Zainab bint Humaid had taken him to Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) and said, “O Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ)! Take his Pledge of allegiance (Baith) for Islam.” The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “He (`Abdullah bin Hisham) is a little child,” and passed his hand over his head and invoked Allah for him. `Abdullah bin Hisham used to slaughter one sheep as a sacrifice on behalf of all of his family.
3. *Tirmizi # 1505, Ibn Majah # 3147*
Narrated by Ata bin Yasar (ra) a Tabaee asked Abu-Ayub Ansari (ra) a Sahabi that How did you do Sacrifice (qurbani) during the time of Rasool Allah Muhammad (saw) ? Upon which the Sahabi said “during the time of Muhammad Rasool Allah (saw) a person gave one goat for sacrifice (qurbani) on behalf of himself and his household (family). They used to eat from it and distribute from it. After that people started doing pride and the situation changed as it is now (that is they started slaughtering more animals out of pride)”.
4. *Ibn Majah # 3148 & Hakim # 228/4*
Narrated by Abu-Sariha (ra) that “My family has forced me to do something wrong while I know the sunnah way which was to Slaughter (qurbani) one or two goats from one family. But now our neighbors feel we are miser if we slaughter only one goat”.
*From the above hadiths we come to know that one goat per family should be slaughtered and not one goat for each and every individual of the family.* It is also known that since people out of pride started to slaughter more than one it has changed the way sacrifice used to be done at the time of our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). This is more obvious these days as many people show off the cost and beauty of their animals to other and feel proud in doing this.
Also, it is sufficient for a person to offer one sacrifice. One sacrifice is sufficient for a man and the members of his family and the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to offer a single sheep on behalf of himself and his family, and when He (saw) died he left behind nine wives.
There is no report that our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered each of his wives to offer a separate sacrifice, even though the sacrifice was repeated every year and His (peace and blessings be upon him) wives were numerous and lived in separate houses.
There is not a single Hadith which narrates that our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) sacrificed on the day of Eid Ul Adha separately for each family member. In fact He (peace and blessings be upon him) sacrificed a single sheep on behalf of his entire family.
5. *Ibn Majah # 3122 & Musnad Ahmad # 225/6* Narrated by Abu Hurairah (ra) that Muhammad Rasool Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) sacrificed a sheep on behalf of himself and his entire family.
Also the Sahaba (ra) says they also used to sacrifice only one which was stated to be the Sunnah by Ata bin Yasar (ra) in *Tirmizi (1505) & Ibn-Majah (3147)* and *Abu-Sariha (ra) in Ibn-Majah (3148).*
6. *Bukhari # 5553*
Narrated by Anas bin Maalik (ra) that Muhammad Rasool Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) gave sacrifice for two sheep and I also gave sacrifice for two sheep.
7. *Ibn-Majah # 3121 & Abu-Dawood # 2795* Narrated by Ayesha (ra) & Abu-Hurairah (ra) that when Muhammad Rasool Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) wanted to do Qurbani then He (peace and blessings be upon him) took two healthy sheep and cut one on behalf of the Ummah and other on behalf of Himself and his Family.